Sunday, August 19, 2007

By coincidence

The company I work for is going through a lot of turnover in personnel. Because of this, I have to spend more time at the main office hanging out with the developers up there. I knew that one of the guys up there was into karate. I started to share my taekwondo stories with him and the guy in the next cube (a new hire), actually does taekwondo. He's a 3rd degree black belt who had taken some time off from the sport. It seems like he's been doing it his whole life so I don't blame him (not that there is blame to be had). My visits to that office ended up becoming updates on what I was learning and also picking his brain for pointers and information. He's been very, very helpful. I was so enthusiastic about everything that I rekindled that taekwondo fire in him. He's now studying up and plans to test for his 4th degree in December.

He goes to a different dojang than I do but there is a connection. His master was on the Olympic team with the master at my dojang.

As a side note, the karate guy resigned and went on to greener pastures. Maybe I drove him out with all my taekwondo talk.

No comments: