Wednesday, November 28, 2007

next up - purple

The kids and I have been steadily working our way through our green belt requirements. We just got our recommendation stripes last night for our next belt test which comes up in a week and half. I drew a blank once again when asked to recite the student creed last night. I know it by heart. I just get a bit of stage fright when I'm not expecting it.

I decided that before the next test, I'm going to run a practice test at the house with me and my kids. We're going to run through the entire test in the morning and then go to the real test in the afternoon. I'm sure we'll pass but I really want to do my best at it. I think I'll actually have one of my kids run the test as the instructor. I'm sure they'll get a kick (pun intended) out of it.

It seems like each of us has an "area for improvement" in my mind. For me, it is getting past the mind blank. For my oldest daughter, she needs to be more assertive/aggressive. This directly impacts her ability to do the board break (a simple axe kick this time). For my youngest daughter, it's her focus. Part of that is her age...she's only 7. But she reminds me a lot of myself when I was her age. I still have issues focusing sometimes as an adult.


No comments: