Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Soapbox: Happy whatever you call it

I heard on the radio this morning that retailers are once again afraid of offending people by saying/advertising with the wrong saying of Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, whatever floats your boat saying. They are also afraid of offending people by NOT saying the correct saying. This seems to be a recurring theme that I hear about year after year.

My thoughts: Grow Up People! I'm tired of people being "offended" just because someone says something of a religious nature to them. I'm a Christian. I'm going to be saying Merry Christmas to you. It's because I love you. If you happen to be of another religious persuasion and wish me some seasonal greeting of that ilk, I will NOT be offended. I see it as a genuine wish for well-being. Note that I might say a prayer for you silently in my head that you come to know who Jesus Christ is but I'm not going to be all worked up or thinking that you're pushing your beliefs on me. I also don't expect anyone to wish me a seasonal greeting either. Am I entitled to some kind of seasonal greeting from you? Should I require it to be the same kind of greeting that I would give?!?!? Good grief Charlie Brown.

And another thing....the Merry Christmas that is celebrated in the good old US of A seems to have very little to do with Jesus nowadays. I realize that Christianity basically made Christmas into a Christian holiday and not the other way around. However, there used to be a time where they were more closely related if I look through my nostalgia colored glasses. Now I'll get off my soapbox and patiently wait for the 25th, the day I can be a wannabee.



No comments: