Friday, August 17, 2007

That first test....

Or...."Don't stress about it". Yeah...I heard that a lot from the more senior belts. Hard to do when you don't know anything about what it's going to be like.

Looking back, going from a white belt to a yellow belt (there is some consistency in this between dojangs but not much) was pretty easy. I didn't think so at the time. I "overanalyze" a lot of stuff. Comes from being a coder. It drives my wife a little nuts because I always play devil's advocate to ideas she has. I know I come across as "negative" in these scenarios but I'm just trying to "solve the problem". Maybe this is more a "male" issue than a coder issue.

Back to the test. We were tested on the basics. I found out later that once you have your "recommended" stripe, you've already "passed" anyway. The testing is just a formality and a way to see how you perform under scrutiny. We went through some basic kicks and punches, a kicking set, some terminology (hana, dul, set, net....), and a blocking set. Being in the "intro program", we didn't do much of anything else.

The result: a yellow belt around our waist was the real world result. However......it was great to see my kids actually smiling and that sense of accomplishment they had when they had passed.



No comments: