Wednesday, October 10, 2007

kicks, kicks and more kicks

In the past 3 weeks, we've learned more new "moves" than I've thought possible. I still need to practice them to get them down. However, this is the part of taekwondo that I enjoy most, and have the most difficulty with. Getting the technique down is my biggest struggle. However, I really enjoy the challenge of learning something new. It keeps the whole process interesting. At one point in time, I took up going to the rec center and using the aerobic equipment. I did that for about 4 months. I was bored to tears. I'm sure that ultimately led to my dropping the whole thing. I don't know how people can go to these places all the time and not go crazy. To each their own of course.

With respect to keeping in shape, what matters to me is that I found something that maintains my interest. With taekwondo there is always something new to learn. And there is also the "perfecting" of the older techniques. Then we get to apply these in our forms and our "promise sparring"
(not real sparring but a no contact faking each other type sparring). I'll eventually take a stab at the real sparring class but I'm holding off until my schedule eases up.

For kicks, we've learned the back kick, the spin hook kick, and the back leg side kick. We've added the chun jin step (a sort of hop-step forward), the cover punch, and double knife hand blocks. We've added this cool looking (and sounding) escrima technique and a defensive move for throwing an elbow to the head.


No comments: