Thursday, October 11, 2007

perspectives

I've mentioned in other posts about my busy schedule. I've been heavily involved in coordinating a class called Pathlight at our church. One of our pastors said it best when he described the course as teaching us to take away our own idea and "luggage" of what Christianity is and presenting what is truly represented in the Bible across cultural boundaries. In other words, looking at Christianity from the perspective of other cultures and our own and seeing what it truly has to say, and how can we communicate the truth of the Gospel across that cultural divide.

For example: the American version of church generally follows a pretty set format of opening worship, announcements, more worship, then a sermon, then a closing song. This doesn't always translate well to other cultures. Why do we have this set pattern in America? What would worship look like in another culture?

I've taken a 15 week version of the course and a 5 week "exposure" version of it. I also took the coordinator's training class for it. I'm now helping coordinate the offering of the 5 week version by being the MC for the class and really trying to be supportive of the main coordinator by being his extra pair of hands. Public speaking is not my forte. However, I've got the booming voice for it according to several people I know (including my "will you please speak more quietly" wife). It really is an area that I ask for God to speak through me and not use my own words.

What's somewhat related to Taekwondo is that the teacher of the class the other night was a native Korean. I think I surprised him when he was done speaking and I said "Kahm-sa-ham-ne-da" (Thank You) with a proper Korean bow. We say this at the end of every taekwondo class. I'm trying to get a proper perspective on Korean culture.


No comments: