Wednesday, March 5, 2008

somebody point me to a 12 step program

Last week, I was at Best Buy picking up some networking gear for the homestead. Standing in line, the lady in front of me had a Wii in her hands. I quickly quizzed her on the location of the rare, hard to find item and made a beeline. There was one left on the shelf and I picked it up. I debated in my head what I should do for about a minute. I decided it was in my best interest to call a coworker of mine who had been looking for one for about 3 months and offer it to him. He readily agreed and made it over to the store within 10 minutes. After reluctantly handing it over to him, I walked out empty-handed but feeling good about myself.

All well and good so far. I staved off my gaming addiction. This wouldn't be interesting though if that were the end of it.

I went home and told the story to my wife and kids around the dinner table. Was this a conscious decision on my part? I really don't know. The kids chimed in with the "Why didn't you get it for us!?!?!" statements. My wife made a deal with them, if everyone in the family gave up all their birthday presents for the year, we could get a Wii. This included herself. She wanted Cooking Mama of all games and I think her sister's talking about the system has worn on her a little bit.

The next morning, I saw the traffic jam in front of me on the highway and decided to take alternate route number 1 to work. It runs right past a Walmart. I decided to pull in and see if they had any. There were 4 systems on the shelf. They had just arrived that morning. I was the first to pick one up.

Fate? Coincidence? I'll leave that up to the reader. But the system is now setup in our home and my wife is waving that wiimote around in a circle making virtual scrambled eggs.

I've played about an hour of it on Super Mario Galaxy. I had previous exposure to wii sports over at my sister's house. I'd still rather be traipsing through Vegas killing terrorists than jumping on mushrooms though.

No comments: