Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the pulled halo announcement

First....I'm not really a fan of Halo. It's cool and all. I have all the games and have played them through a couple times. The first one is by far my favorite of the series. Halo 3 is the only game where I participated in a midnight release event. However, it's not really my cup of tea. I like squad based tactical games instead.

"We didn't feel we needed to show Halo to have a great show, to pay homage to our core audience, to have a lot of news, so it was an embarrassment of riches and we couldn't fit it in. How great is that? I think that's awesome." - Don Mattrick

If this is true and not just PR spin to cover up the real story, it tells me that MS doesn't have the killer instinct. Sony is making up ground this year. If MS truly wanted to win the "console war" (or at least come in 2nd to Nintendo), they should have announced it. There isn't any embarrassment of riches in this space. If the dagger is in the body, twist away to make sure it's really dead.

I believe this is more about appeasing the other developers in the MS space. I'm looking at you Epic and Square Enix. They want their share of the pie and didn't want to be overshadowed by the Halo juggernaut.

Instead, the whole pulled announcement news is using up more cyber-space than the games that were announced. Is this a brilliant PR move following the "there's no such thing as bad press" idea or a giant cluster....(well you know the term)? I tend to think the latter.

1 comment:

Bil Repenning said...

So very true. Bungie, by way of Harold Ryan (who has been jokingly described as the Anikin Skywalker of the MS/BUngie world - because he "betrayed and murdered Microsoft, form a certain perspective") even is said to have laughed and basically said that this will be good press for them either way. Lukems has been almost silent on the matter though. It's all odd though that Frank O'Connor left just before this happened. Hmmmmm